The Big Orange Owner/Operators

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Big Orange Owner/Operators

A forum for The Big Orange owner/operators to discuss their business's and share/exchange ideas.

BNI 10 Minutes Presentation Outline

Admin
    Admin

BNI 10 Minutes Presentation Outline Empty BNI 10 Minutes Presentation Outline

Post  Admin Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:25 pm

Good afternoon,

Does anyone have an outline of what they spoke about during the BNI 10 min presentation? I have mine tomorrow but would like to see what others have done.

Thank You,

Sam Romero

SNJ Promotional Solutions
    Admin
    Admin

BNI 10 Minutes Presentation Outline Empty Re: BNI 10 Minutes Presentation Outline

We would be interested as well as we hope to attend a BNI lunch within the near future.
    Pamela Carr & Charlie Ferver
    WeaveWood Ink
    Bradenton FL
    Admin
    Admin

BNI 10 Minutes Presentation Outline Empty Re: BNI 10 Minutes Presentation Outline

I can’t get my BNI to call me back; can you give me any details? Is there a monthly fee? I know there is the cost for lunch, but any other information would be great.

Thank you!

Julye

Castle Promotional Printing

Julye Evans, Owner
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:26 pm

I took a couple of screens with me to my presentation and explained the process of screen printing. I also took a lot of samples of things I have done. Many people do not understand the steps and think you can just print one shirt. By doing this, they then understood what type of clients I was looking for. Someone who wanted to print 24+ shirts.

Greg Crivelli
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:26 pm

There is an annual fee in addition to your lunch cost. The annual fee (first time) is $355, if I recall correctly, and when you first sign up, there is also a processing fee. You pay the entire year in advance and if you decide to renew for the second year, you must renew at least 30 days in advance or you pay a late fee. (Meals are paid thru the chapter, so that is a separate payment. My former chapter collected lunch dues quarterly. My current chapter collects breakfast dues monthly.)

You can visit a chapter meeting, and as long as your category is not in conflict with and existing member, you will be allowed to give a 30-second commercial after all of the members have given theirs, if time permits. You can only visit twice.

Is it possible that the BNI you contacted already has someone with your category? If not, the fact that they have not called you back can be a bad sign. You need a good leadership team for a chapter to really be motivated to work for each other. You might want to look at other chapters in the area if these folks are not getting back to you. It's a good idea to look online at the member roster of each chapter, choose the one(s) that not only have an opening, but maybe also have other members who you would naturally run across referrals for (and vice versa) and visit those chapters to find the right fit.

This is an investment of time and money, so finding the right chapter is important. The right chapter will pay off with business referral. The wrong chapter will make you wonder why you wasted your time and money.

My $.02

-- Heidi

Heidi Schulze
    Upward Promotions
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:27 pm

I’ve done several 10 minute BNI presentations so far and they all changed up a bit.

The 1st couple I spent a few minutes talking about how and why I got into promotions, and background.

I usually bring some props and examples to show and how it can help marking a company, branding, or fundraising.

Most importantly is to explain what kind of referrals are best. i.e. marketing directors, PTA’s, schools, churches, etc. Specific questions such as, “Who do you use for your imprinted products?”, “Are you happy?” are just some examples. This is what there going to take with them when they’re out in the field talking to other people.

Good luck,

Joan

Joan Westpy

Westpy Marketing Services, Inc.
    Admin
    Admin

I just joined a BNI here in Virginia Beach. There is a $5 a week membership fee, plus the annual and the initial join up fee. We don’t do lunch at our BNI. We don’t do breakfast either. We have coffee, we talk about referrals and then we leave and get our butts back to work.

It’s nice and all. Very social, so to speak, but it’s about business, not breakfast!, or lunch.

I didn’t use an outline. I just tried to explain to the members what I can do for them. I also tried to explain why there’s a set up charge and things like that. I’ve already recouped my membership fees from the first job I got from a member, so as far as I’m concerned, it was well worth the investment. It’s a very good way to get your business name out there in the community.

Good luck,

Andy Marsh
    Admin
    Admin

If you check the time and date of their meeting and the list of business to ensure there is not already a promo person in that group, just show up – we have found they are not real good at communicating to potential new members in our area – we just showed up on morning. Yes, there are fees, but you would need to get these details from them. If they serve food, it is normally optionally and yes, you do pay.

Bonnie

Logarrow Marketing

Shingletown CA
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:28 pm

BNI is Business Networking International – it is a networking group where professional business owners/representatives get together from various professions to learn about each others businesses, build relationships and try to send qualified referrals there way.

Joan Westpy

Westpy Marketing Services, Inc.
    Admin
    Admin

I am sorry to hear about your local BNI chapter not calling you back. I joined BNI last september and have found it to jump start my business being a newbie
    last May. I am the current President of my BNI group of 35 members. We are very pro-active and I make a point of emailing or calling anyone ahead of time that has informed me they will be visiting to remind them to bring plenty of business cards ,etc.
    I also follow up with visitors after the meeting to see if they have any questions, etc.
    Some people visit multiple groups in their area to see which fits best with their needs....then come back to us!!!
    I would say over 1/2 of my business comes from the BNI members themselves in my group.

Keep trying...it is a great business / networking tool.

Sharon Heiligman
    Ameriprint
    Admin
    Admin

For a first time 10 minute presentation, break it into manageable chunks. I put mine as follows:
    2-3 minutes on my history - business, professional, company, family etc. let your members know who you are.
    2-3 minutes on my current business - what we do, some of how we do it, what we can do for them etc
    3-4 minutes on training - what makes a good referral for you. where to look, how to start conversations, etc. train them to be your sales team.

for subsequent presentations, I'd shorten the history - you should know most of your group by the time you get your second presentation, then increase the 2nd section to go into specifics - fundraisers one time, safety programs another, etc.

keep the 3rd section as training - you are training your sales force exactly how to find and perhaps even qualify a good referral for you. keep a farming attitude instead of a hunting for business attitude and you will do well. it does take some time, but then anything worthwhile does. Good luck!

scott

Scott Weaver
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:29 pm

Hi Julye,

I am the president of my local BNI chapter here in Bryan/College Station. I am sorry that no one has called you back from your chapter. Yes there are costs involved. Yearly dues and an initial processing fee when you join. Depending on the chapter there will be monthly dues as well. We are a group of 41 members as of today and growing. We meet at lunch on Tuesday's and pay $15.00 a week which is alot more than the normal, but we meet at a nice resturant and get good service.

BNI has been good for my business especially starting out, when I just did promotional products it accounted for about half my business, now that I have bought an Awards and trophy shop that percentage is down considerable but it is still well worth the time and effort involved. And it does take effort to be success, the ones that come into our group and work at it do well those who do not put in the effort do not. After all it is net"working", right:).

Just my rambling thoughts.

Sincerely

Larry M. Goodrum
    Awards & More
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:29 pm

I've had the same issue. I contacted them through the main website and
    received an email assuring me that my local group(s) would be contacting me,
    and never heard another word. Haven't really put any more effort into it
    yet though because we're not quite ready to add another weekly event to our
    jam-packed calendar.

Jennifer Evanko
    Innovative Solutions Texas, LLC
    El Paso, Texas

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:07 am